WCM aims to be Environmentally Friendly
WCM is committed to preserving and protecting the environment. Here are some small ways in which we are trying to reduce our carbon footprint:
1) We are centrally located within walking distance and on a convenient bus route for many people who attend the mosque.
2) We provide recycling receptacles on the premises.
3) We use digital thermostats to control the building’s temperature and avoid unnecessary hydro expenditures.
4) We use energy efficient light bulbs indoors and solar powered lights outdoors.
5) We have installed low flow toilets in the washrooms.
6) We encourage people to bring their own water bottles during Ramadan.
7) In summer 2011, we opened an organic community garden in our parking lots with the support of the Daniel McIntyre / St. Matthews Community Association. Please see the Community Garden section.
Qur’anic (Koranic) verses and quotations promoting an environmental consciousness:
“Eat and drink from the provision of Allaah, and do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption." [Qur’an 2:60]
"And there is no creature on (or within) the earth or a bird that flies with its wings except that they are nations (communities) like you." [Qur’an 6:38]
On Friday, April 20th, WCM participated in the